Wednesday 2 February 2011

2nd February 2011 - Replacement Base.

After months of waiting for my new, replacement, base to be sent to me for my 14" Skywatcher it finally arrived on the 31st of January. 
As you can imagine I was very eager to get out and test it to make sure it was working as expected. There was a lovely clear spell last night - 1st February - but just as I was ready to turn on the power button the sky was completely covered in cloud and it was only a few moments before that when I looked up and saw stars everywhere. Very annoying but rather than just pack up I decided to test the parking mode as this was terribly inaccurate on the faulty base. I was thrilled to see that it was parking properly so this was promising. 

Today was a real chance to get out with clear skies forecast for most of the evening. I go set up very quickly and was amazed to see that collimation was very close to being spot on. Of course when I was ready to turn on the mount and test it was cloudy again but I waited it out and patiences prevailed. I got enough clear skies to get a really good test and I am delighted to say that all is working well. 

All that is left now are some great clear nights this spring and lots of time up at Bragan to do some serious galaxy hunting!
I feel good times ahead...

No comments:

Post a Comment