Tuesday 1 February 2011

26th January 2011 - Report

At long last, my first proper observing session of the year and thank goodness, it has been too long thanks to a deadly long, cold and icy winter.
I've recently started observing at a farm yard just up the lane of my house and am very impressed with the conditions. Light pollution is low and quite a bit of the horizon can be seen and there is also quite good shelter from the wind. This is also where I observed for this session.
I wasn't out very long but that was because work was extremely busy so I had to be in bed for a resonable time.

Equipment = Orion 10" and EQ6 Pro

Start Time = 20:04

NGC 891 = Not much detail but the structure was solid and well seen with averted vision.

M31 & 32 = Very bright and nice.

NGC 2403 = A very nice sight. Strong structure and averted vision revealing some nice spiral arm and cluster like details.

M1 = Superb structure but little detail.

M78 = Really good nebulosity to be seen with some faint details around the edges of the stars.

M42 = Mind blowing. I thought I saw al in the 14" a few months back but this really was a view that topped them all. The FOV in the 17mm Hyperion was just a feast from edge to edge with gorgeous dark lanes and details running all through the nebula.

NGC 1662 = A nice small grouping of stars and a first time seeing this.

NGC 3194 = A bit faint but still a beautiful small cluster to observe and for the fist time too.

NGC 2169 = Another beautiful small cluster that is really worth looking at. The stars are very bright and grouped in a lovely pattern. To me part of the group looked like a butterfly spreading its wings out.

Finish = 21:17

No comments:

Post a Comment