Tuesday 31 August 2010

30th/31st August 2010 - Report

Another beautiful day and with no wind. I was very tempted to go observing at Bragan but with a busy day ahead of me in the morning I decided to stay at home and make the most of my time.
The plan for tonight is to finish of my double tour in Cassiopeia and then make my way onto some of the doubles in Cepheus and then start to capture those images of Jupiter and the Moon that I tried to get from the other night.

Seeing = 3
Trans = 2

Equipment = EQ6 Pro, 4" Refractor, Laptop and ToUcam.

Location = Home

Start Time = 22:48

Eat Cas = It is nice to start my night off with a good old favourite. Looking really good with strong colours.

Lambada Cas = A might find double. A very tight pair and the secondary is very faint, which can easily be overlooked by the brightness of the primary star. A great sight and well worth the effort.

Sigma Cas = Another tight pair and another beautiful view. 196x splits this double very nicely. Very little colour to pick up on, both very white.

TYC 3664 = An interesting view. Even at 196x the pair seems to be touching and both are similar size. If it were not for the decent seeing conditions I would not have seen this well enough to tell it was a double.

HIP398 = Another little gem and a real test of eye sight. The secondary star is so faint it took me some time to see it but once I did it was a pleasure. I highly recommend this, if just for the fun of the effort at least.

6 Cas = Almost identical to 398, with the differences being the primary star an orange colour and the secondary on the opposite side of the primary.

Pi Cep = Primary star is a lovely orange/red with the secondary very tight to the primary.

Alfirk = This made a lovely change with a lime green coloured primary star. The secondary is well separated.

HIP109474 = Average looking pair. Not much to write about here.

Kurhah = A lovely sight and a great way to end my session on doubles for the night. Strong colours dominated the view of this double, that provides a memorable view.

Uranus = 196x gave a nice view. The planet disk was apparent and there was also a nice hint of pale green.

Neptune = More star like than planet in appearance but there was a hint of blue.

Jupiter = A quality view. The 8 mm gave the best view with excellent detail in and around the zones and bands. With my imaging problems fixed from the previous nights griefs I got the camera into the eye piece and began recording my AVIs

Moon = I did not bother with a visual observation this time, I went straight into imaging. All equipment worked really well and I achieved very good focus.

Finish Time = 01:06

I had a great time out. Highly fulfilling and that nice feeling of a great night of observing being done.
My imagine results were rather good. Not brilliant but with the short time I spent on them I am pleased with the results.



No comments:

Post a Comment