Tuesday 22 September 2009

Clean Mirrors

I spent some time today cleaning my 10" Euopra's mirrors with fantastic results.

During my last two session out observing I noticed that my primary mirror was quite dirty looking with a some scummy patches also so over the weekend I searched my memory on how I did it the last times I cleaned them. I went over the methods that worked well and mistakes I made so during the weekend I came up with good plan and put it into action today. Normally it would take me 2-3 hours to clean them but today it only took me 45 minutes to clean the primary and secondary.
I feel very confident doing the work now, where as in the past I'd feel nervous of making a scratch on the mirrors surface or something else.

The amount of dirt on the primary was shocking after I had removed it from the tube but with a combination of Isopropanol, distilled water, 100% cotton pads and an ultra high quality cleaning cloth for special glasses and the job was over.

My mirrors look brand new and I was able to get perfect collimation in 10 minutes so I can't wait for the next clear night and see the difference.

I wonder if I will get to see all five members of Stephen's Quintet...

No comments:

Post a Comment